Are you interested in learning the more you can about soccer? Here are 25 interesting facts about Football that you probably did not know prior to you started
A father who was playing soccer, I was born into the world of football and at four years old, I attended my first football game at a professional football club in my home town.
I’ve always had a passion for the sport, and it is truly one of the most popular games of all time.
Football is the most loved game in the world.
There are over 265 million athletes around the globe and around 4 billion people are watching the game from time to time it is without doubt is the most watched sport on the planet.
It was developed in China in the year 476 B.C
It is possible that football could originate in China given that the national team of China is currently placed in the 86th position on the FIFA World Ranking.
Most experts believe that the game was developed in the 476th century BC in China which was referred to as Cuju. In the following centuries there was many different ball games throughout Ancient Greece as well as the Mayan Empire and England to name the few.
The FIFA World Cup is watched by more than 3.5 billion people are watching at the FIFA World Cup
The FIFA World Cup is the most watched sporting event in the world and the number of viewers at the last World Cup is set to just over 3.5 billion that was an all-time record.
The estimated one billion viewers were watching at the FIFA World Cup final between France and Croatia and where France won the match.
Sheffield F.C. is the oldest football club in the world.
Sheffield F.C is the oldest professional football club in the world, and it was established in 1857. Sheffield F.C. is currently with Division One of the Northern Premier League Division One South East.
A football game lasts for 90 minutes plus stoppage time.
A professional match is usually 90 minutes long and is divided into two parts of 45 minutes and stoppage time. The stoppage time can vary between 1 and 5 minutes, based on the severity of injuries and breaks during the second half of the game.
The fastest goal scored took just 2.4 seconds
Nawaf Al-Abed scored the goal after only 2.4 seconds. It is acknowledged as the fastest goal scored. There are numerous instances of players who scored in 5 seconds of scoring.
A majority of soccers are produced in Pakistan
Sialkot located in Pakistan is known for producing the balls used in the FIFA World Cup since 1982. Some of the finest balls are made by hand stitching in Pakistan. Adidas balls, for instance, are produced here as well as other high-quality balls.
Only eight countries have ever won the World Cup
The Fifa World Cup has been held every year for the fourth time since 1930. However, despite 21 tournaments played since the very first tournament in Uruguay only eight nations have been crowned winners of the tournament.
Brazil has been a winner of it the FIFA World Cup 5 times making Brazil the most successful team in the world ever.
Americans and Canadians refer to it as soccer.
If an American is discussing football, they’re generally speaking of American Football that is among the most played games within the United States.
Football in Canada is a reference to Canadian football that is quite like football in the American version. Canadians as well as Americans have the sole people around the globe that refer to soccer as a substitute of football.
There are many variants of football.
The most well-known version is actually called Association Football but is almost always referred to simply as soccer or football in the eyes of Americans and Canadians the term that was first coined in England.
Other variations of the sport are futsal, eFootball and beach football.
Football players may be dealt red and yellow cards.
A player could be issued either a red or yellow one by the judge in case they violate any rules of the game. It could, for instance being a rough tackle or a remark that is inappropriate in front of the officials.
If a player gets two yellow cards during the same match the player will receive the red card and will be removed from the field.
The first ever international soccer match was played in 1872.
The first international football match was played on Hamilton Crescent where Scotland played against England. The match took place on the 30th of November 1872. And a total of 114 matches were played between Scotland and England since that time.
The world’s largest soccer arena is in North Korea
The Rungrado 1st of May Stadium in Pyongyang is the largest venue in the entire world. It has the capacity of 150,000 spectators. There are reports that suggest the stadium is only able to hold the capacity of 114,000 that would still be the top stadium.
The highest number of people ever seen was the Maracana Stadium in 1950 where the stadium was packed with 199,854 fans who watched Uruguay against Brazil. The present attendance is set at 78,838.
It’s perhaps an of the interesting facts about football due to the totalitarian rule of North Korea and its virtually unnoticed presence on the international stage.
Kazuyoshi Miura is the longest-running professional athlete.
The Japanese footballer and icon Kazuyoshi Miura, aka as Kazu is currently the longest-running professional soccer player of all time. He’s aged 52 and has broken the previous record, which was set by the legendary Sir Stanley Mathews at age 50.
Kazuyoshi Miura plays with Kazuyoshi Miura’s Japanese League in Japan at Yokohama FC.
Premier League is ranked as the top football league
The three major leagues include Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A and the English Premier League. There is always a debate among players about which league is most effective, however at this moment, the majority of people are paying attention to the English Premier League which gives the best lead.
Other important leagues that are played in Europe include The German Bundesliga, Dutch Eredivise as well as Ligue 1 in France. The top level of soccer in the United States is called Major League Soccer also known as MLS.
Five x Fun Facts about Football
- On-line eFotball has been deemed to be a sport
- Norway has the sole soccer team to have never been defeated by Brazil
- India was excluded from their participation in the FIFA World Cup in 1950 due to the fact that they were not allowed to play in barefoot
- Footballers run an average of 9.65 kilometers per game.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has been the sole player who has scored a goal every minute from 1-90 minutes
5 Football Facts to Know for Children
- A football field is 100 yards, while the width of a football pitch is 53 yards and 1/2 inches.
- The only exception is that Canadians and Americans refer to soccer as soccer
- The real name of the game is Association football.
- Each team is permitted to contain at least 11 people on its field
- The very first FIFA World Cup was held in Uruguay which also took home the competition.
General Information about Football
- Terms of this game Football, Association football Soccer, Football
- Source: China (467 BC)
- Total players around the world 265 million people and women
- Player on the field 11 players on each team
- Match duration length: 90 mins (45+45 minutes plus stoppage time)
- Referees Minimum: 1 head referee as well as two assistant referees
- Most successful club team: Real Madrid C.F.
- The most popular National team: Brazil
- Top ranked national men’s soccer team: Belgium
- Top ranked national women’s squad: United States
- The oldest soccer club on earth: Sheffield FC (England)
- The most costly player on the planet: Neymar (EUR222 from PSG to Barcelona)
- The oldest pro soccer star in World: Kazuyoshi Miura (52 years old)
- Fastest goal ever scored: 2.4 seconds (Nawaf Al-Abed)
- The most goals scored in a single game:
- The most goal goals in league play during a single season: The total is 66 goals (Ferenc Deak)
- the longest Penalty Shootout 46 Kicks (KK Palace as well as Civics at the Namibian Cup)
- The Most Goals Scored by Goalkeepers In Their career: Rogerio Ceni with 128 goals
What’s the biggest loss in the history of football?
The greatest defeat in sports history at all time was in 1885, when Bon Accord was defeated by Arbroath by 36-0.
Who scored the most goals in one match?
Archie Thompson scored 13 goals for the Socceroos during the time Australia beat American Samoa by 31-0.
Which nation invented football?
England developed football into what is played in the present, but the roots of the game are Chinese. It was the first time that rules were formulated in 1863, and a number of modifications and additions have taken place since then.
Also check: 1st & Ten
One of the latest developments in the game is the use of VAR, which is also referred to as video assistant referee.
What are the five principles of football?
In reality, there’s 17 laws in football that each has numerous rules and instructions.
- The Field of Play
- The Ball
- The Players
- The Equipment for Players
- The Referee
What are the fundamental football abilities?
- The ball is passed
- Receiving the ball